Published on August 19th, 2013 | by Nottingham Drinker0
Nottingham CAMRA’s 6th Annual Beer & Cider Census
One of the main campaigning aims of CAMRA is for choice. Beer or Cider? Light or Dark? Malty or Hoppy? Dry or Sweet? Everyone has their favourite style. There are many different styles of real ale to try, and everyone will have their favourite. So, where can you find a large range of beers?
WE NEED YOUR HELP
There are many towns and cities around the country that have a large range of beers available in the pubs in their area. Nottingham undoubtably has an excellent range, as last year’s Beer and Cider census proved. In 2012, 266 different beers from 102 breweries were available in the 127 pubs surveyed on a single day.
However, Nottingham’s census is not all about the choice of different beers. Ciders and perries have their own individual characteristics too, so are part of our annual census.
Year-on-year, choice is improving, as the results of our census shows. However, the choice of where to drink is seemingly diminishing. We have lost several pubs since last year’s census, but gained only four.
So is the choice still available this year? Obviously, we need volunteers to find out.
So would you like to volunteer for a pub crawl?
If so, all you need to do is:
1. Check your diary – you must have enough free time on Saturday 21st September 2013.
2. Choose a route from a choice of twelve. Each route contains about 10 pubs. As usual, there are some changes to the routes, due to pub closures etc. The full list of routes will be available online, or by request to the e-mail address below. A sample route is shown on this page. Note that some routes may take more time to complete than others, so please plan your time accordingly.
3. Contact email@example.com to confirm your route. I will provide the necessary forms, if needed, but the information required is quite basic…
4. Visit each pub on the route at any time of the day, on Saturday 21st September 2013 only.
5. For all real ales and real ciders/perries, note down:
a. The name of the pub you are in.
b. The brewery & beer name / cider maker & cider name.
c. The ABV%.
d. The price of a pint (excluding any CAMRA discount).
6. Have a drink (optional).
Census volunteers should then make their way to the Roebuck, St James Street from 11.00am, where I can collect the completed census forms. Alternatively, you can send completed forms to me electronically, or by post later in the week, but please let me know beforehand if this is your intent.
Nottingham CAMRA Data Coordinator
Poppy & Pint
Larwood & Voce
Trent Bridge Inn
Wagon & Horses
New Carrington Inn
Bread & Bitter
Duke of Cambridge
Rose of England
Slug & Lettuce
Frog & Onion
Horse & Groom
Fox & Crown
Hole in the Wall
Horn in Hand
Spanky Van Dykes
Sir John Borlase Warren
Hand & Heart
Bar 44 (Strathdon Hotel)
Rose & Crown
Vat & Fiddle
Fellows, Morton & Clayton
Trip to Jerusalem
Castle (nr castle)
King William IV
Castle (nr ice stadium)
Pitcher & Piano
Cock & Hoop
Tap & Tumbler
Old Dog & Partridge
Pit & Pendulum